Tuesday, 14 July 2015

In cardiac arrest, do not wait for doctor to arrive

In cardiac arrest, do not wait for doctor to arrive

When someone suffers a sudden cardiac arrest, most people waste time waiting for the doctor to arrive.

Cardiac arrest is a condition when the heart has stopped functioning, but the brain is still alive.

In this situation, every minute matters. With each passing minute, the chances of revival reduce by 10%. “If the revival process is started within one minute of sudden death, the chances of revival are 90%” said Padma Shri Awardee, Dr K K Aggarwal, President, Heart Care Foundation of India and Honorary Secretary General, Indian Medical Association (IMA). He was conducting a training workshop on CPR for Delhi PCR Van Staff.

The workshop is being conducted by Heart Care Foundation of India jointly with Indian Medical Association, Delhi Red Cross Society and Delhi Police with an aim of training 100 percent of PCR Staff by 14th August.

Dr K K Aggarwal said “Every second counts. If you find no evidence of breathing, make the person lie down flat on his back on a hard surface and compress the centre of the chest with your hands by 1 to 2 inches for the next at least 10 minutes with a speed of 100 compressions per minute until the person gets revived.”

The public must remember that to do a CPR, you need not be certified as a qualified CPR provider.

“A PCR van can reach the spot within a few minutes. So, they have the best chance of saving a life using CPR 10 technique,” said Padma Shri Awardee, Dr A Marthanda Pillai, National President, IMA.

In her message, Padma Shri Awardee and renowned Bharatanatyam dancer, Ms. Geeta Chandran said “Everybody should be aware of and learn the technique of CPR. You never know whose life you may be able to save.”

No comments:

Post a Comment