Tuesday 31 May 2016

Organ Donation Awareness must start in Schools

Organ Donation Awareness must start in Schools
Dr Harsha Jauhari, Recipient of Dr BC Roy National Award in conversation with Dr KK Aggarwal How does it feel to be conferred with one of the most prestigious awards in the medical field? Many professionals have been working tirelessly and selflessly in the field of Transplantation. I can only humbly accept this award on their behalf.
Tell me about your journey so far.
After graduating from AFMC (Pune) in 1972, and completing my MS in General Surgery in 1976, from GSVM Medical College, Kanpur, I went to UK, where after FRCS, I underwent training, at the Institute of Urology, London, in Transplantation Surgery, which was still in a nascent stage. 
I came back to India in 1988 and set up Transplant Centers in three states, first at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, followed by one at Noida Medicare Center, Noida, UP and then at Artemis Healthcare Institute, Gurgaon.
What has been your experience regarding kidney transplants.
I have been involved in almost 5000 kidney transplants and have pioneered transplant in diabetes, post-CABG, HBsAg-positive and hepatitis C patients. I have also been instrumental in a number of surgical innovations, which are now standard practice.
Academically, I have presented and authored over 100 National as well as International Lectures and Presentations. I started the Transplant Program at Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in New Delhi. I have also trained a number of Postgraduate students in Transplant Surgery, who have then started their own programs.
You were appointed by Hon’ble Delhi High Court to review the provisions of the Transplantation of Human Organ Act (THOA) 1994. Please illuminate.
Yes, I was appointed by the Hon’ble Delhi High Court to review the provisions of the Transplantation of Human Organ Act, (THOA) 1994. Many of the recommendations, including creation of National Organ Transplant Programme (NOTP), were accepted and are now being implemented. I was also a member of a large member of Expert Committees on Transplants & Nephrology at Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
I am serving as a Technical Advisor (Organ Transplant) to Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, since August 2014 and helping to create, develop and operationalize the National Organ & Tissues Transplant Organization (NOTTO). I have been the President of the Delhi Nephrology Society and presently, I am President of Association of Surgeons of India (Delhi Chapter).
Tell me about your family.
My wife is a professor of English and I have two children, both of whom are lawyers.
If you had to give a message to the community, what would it be? My message to the community is very simple. It’s a one-line message: “Ang Daan Jeevan Daan / Donate Organs, Save Lives”.
Given a chance, what changes would you like to bring about in health policies?
I have been involved in many changes in organ transplant over the years. I would like to include a lecture or two, on Organ Donation in schools and colleges, to create awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment