Thursday 2 June 2016

Strengthen District Health Societies

Strengthen District Health Societies Dr KK Aggarwal, Editor in Chief eMedinewS and IMA News in conversation with Dr Atul Kumar, Chief & Professor of Ophthalmology, Dr RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, AIIMS, New Delhi. Dr Atul Kumar has been honored with Dr BC Roy National Award for the year 2009 under the category of Eminent Medical Teacher. Dr KK: How has your journey been so far?
It has been a total rollercoaster ride. I come from a non-medico family and struggled against all odds to get a meritorious seat at MAMC, Delhi. Then another nervous ‘do or die’ attempt got me into AIIMS, and MD at the RP Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences. There was no looking back then when as a senior resident I realized that besides my clinical work, I also liked academics and teaching. The Almighty was with me as I managed a faculty position at AIIMS, and now finally I am the Chief of the Ophthalmic Center in this institute.
Dr KK: You also have several achievements to your credits. Tell us about them.
Yes, I have been lucky that being a workaholic and having an obsession for finesse, whether retinal surgery or medical retinal ailments, got me laurels. I was awarded the Padma Shri in 2007 and was also appointed Hony consultant to the Armed Forces. This year, in 2016, I was elevated as the Chief and Professor, Dept. of Ophthalmology at RP Centre.
Dr KK: What are your feelings on receiving the award? 
I feel on top of the world, as it justifies what I have done all these years.
Dr KK: What about your family. Tell us something about them.
We are middle class people. My father was an engineer and mother a housewife. My wife works for an NGO for poor women. My son is an intern in Delhi and daughter is pursuing her CA, after B. Com (Hons). Of course I have been in AIIMS throughout and so in a govt job, about which I have no regrets as I handle state of art equipment besides teaching residents and research.
Dr KK: What changes do you suggest as a health policy?
I am a staunch supporter of the prime minister’s clean and hygienic surrounding campaign as this form of prevention can take care of many of ailments in our country. Then, population control as a voluntary method, strengthening District Health Societies so that paramedics and social workers work in tandem with the District Medical Officer and proper funds being available to them to carry out their duties, some sort of incentive in the form of early promotions etc. can also be thought of.

No comments:

Post a Comment