Saturday 5 November 2016

How can I help in reducing the pollution?

How can I help in reducing the pollution?

Dr K K Aggarwal As soon as the pollution levels peaked post-Diwali, headlines highlighting the insufficiency of the government in bringing down pollution, banning crackers and reducing industrial or vehicular pollutants dominated the newspapers. It is easy and very convenient to sit on the sidelines and crib about how the government is lacking in stringent measures to bring down the recently spiked pollution levels. It takes courage and determination to take matter into one’s own hands and take a step towards making a difference. Each of us is a sentient member of the society and the contribution from each of us, no matter however small, matters. Every little step taken at the individual level will only work towards the goodwill of the society as a whole. Do not ask what the governing bodies are doing, instead introspect within yourself and ask what you are doing! We ourselves have brought on this onslaught of toxic smog, and it is our moral duty as an active member of the society to take measures at the individual help to control it. Take the step to do your bit; you may make your significant contribution by taking the following pledges: 1. I will not burn agarbatti, incense sticks and dhoopbatti at my home or workplace till pollution levels drop. 2. I will not burn flame producing candles. 3. I will not use kerosene oil or ‘mitti ka tel’ for any purpose. 4. I will not use wood and coal for any purpose be it cooking or heating. 5. If any unfortunate death occurs in my family, I will bravely opt for electric cremation. 6. I will not smoke cigarettes nor allow anyone else to. 7. I will not smoke beedi or allow anyone else to. 8. I will resort to wet mopping the floors in my house and workplace. 9. Wherever possible, I will practice carpooling. 10. I will opt for public transportation as much as possible. 11. I will immediately get my vehicles checked for pollution standards. 12. I will walk or cycle for short distance commute. 13. I will make sure that the AC at my home does not have a choked filter. 14. I will check if the AC in my car or workplace has a choked filter, if yes I will get it restored. 15. I will check air purifiers at my home and workplace for choked filters and replace them if necessary. 16. I will not burn leaves. 17. I will not burn garbage. 18. I will reduce paper waste and not burn excess paper. 19. I will provide enough time for the AC and air purifiers to stabilize the ambient temperature before entering the room. 20. I will raise my voice against air pollution. 21. If at a petrol pump, I see no mechanism for absorbing toxic vapors, I will speak up. 22. I will object to any unsafe construction in my vicinity. 23. I will not allow construction material to linger on roads after the work is finished. 24. I will insist that the roads in my vicinity are cleaned only mechanically between 12 pm to 5 am. 25. I will talk to my RWA to plant more trees and make sure that pavements have no exposed soil. 26. I will sell my diesel car and buy a CNG one. 27. I will avidly vote for heavy taxes on crackers and tobacco. 28. I will educate people every day to avoid contributing to air pollution, and how to avoid pollutant

No comments:

Post a Comment