Straight from the Heart: IMA Issues
An Inter-Ministerial (Health, Consumer, Law and Home) committee was formed at the insistence of IMA; practically met every month during the last one year to take IMA issues forward. MOH recommendations for various issues of IMA so far are as follows:
Clinical Establishment Act
· To take the police out of appropriate CEA authorities
· To exempt entry level NABH Accreditations Centre from CEA registration formalities
· To facilitate single window registration of medical establishments
· To redefine the word to stabilize in the CEA Act means to “to provide first aid/ basic life support”
· Standard treatment guidelines are advisory in nature
· Establishment charges only in consultation with state and IMA
· To take penal provisions out for clerical errors in PCPNDT Act. The matter is in the Supreme Court.
Violence against doctors
· MoH also released series of advertisements in National dailies on the subject of violence against doctors
· MOH wrote to all the Chief Secretaries of States regarding enacting and /or implementing Laws against violence on doctors
· MOH wrote to the Law Ministry for initiation of Central Law against violence
Capping of compensation
· MOH wrote to Consumer ministry regarding amendment in CPA to modify the compensation clause
· MoH has given in writing that doctors of non-modern system of medicine cannot prescribe modern drugs. IMA won the crosspathy case in Delhi High Court. The matter is in Supreme Court.
NMC and NEXT
· One of the main Agenda of IMA was “Say No to NMC” and IMA could convenience the Govt. to bring proposed NMC in its present state which is 60:40 ratio of Nominated Vs. Elected Body, out of 29 (25) members – 9 will be elected, 5 Selected and out of 15 nominated, 10 will be medical doctors.