Tuesday 19 April 2016

Preventing Fatty Liver Disease

A World Liver Day awareness initiative

Preventing Fatty Liver Disease

Fatty liver, or steatosis, is a term that describes the buildup of fat in the liver. While it’s normal to have some fat in your liver, more than 5 to 10 percent of fat in one’s liver indicates fatty liver disease. Fatty liver disease is found in up to 30% of population, up to 60% in patients who are at risk for heart disease and in up to 90% of obese persons. Fatty liver is a reversible condition that can be resolved with changed behaviors. It often has no symptoms and typically does not cause permanent damage.

The liver is the second largest organ in the body. The liver’s function is to process everything we eat or drink and filter any harmful substances from the blood. This process is interrupted if too much fat is in the liver. The liver commonly repairs itself by rebuilding new liver cells when the old ones are damaged. When there’s repeated damage to the liver, permanent scarring takes place. This is called cirrhosis.
The most common cause of fatty liver is alcoholism and heavy drinking. Besides alcoholism, other common causes of fatty liver include obesity, hyperlipidemia, or high levels of fats in the blood of diabetes, genetic inheritance, rapid weight loss and side effect of certain medications, including aspirin, steroids, tamoxifen, and tetracycline.

There are different types of fatty liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFDL) caused when the liver has difficulty breaking down fats, which causes a buildup in the liver tissue. Alcoholic fatty liver is the earliest stage of alcohol-related liver disease.  NAFLD is subdivided into: Nonalcoholic fatty liver (NAFL) or simple fatty liver with no liver inflammation and Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) or fatty liver with liver inflammation. A rare but life-threarning condition, fatty liver disease can also develop as a complication of pregnancy in a few women.
Speaking about the same, Dr SS Agarwal – National President IMA & Padma Shri Awardee Dr KK Aggarwal – Honorary Secretary General IMA in a joint statement said, “Fatty liver can develop within hours after a single large binge. Binge alcohol means consuming 150 ml in one hour or more than 160 ml inn one day. Many drugs, NSAIDs, paracetamol, anti-diabetics, anti-epileptic drugs, Anti TB drugs can also raise liver enzymes and so can several herbs. Preventive health awareness must be raised to avoid future complications. Lifestyle modifications are key.”

If your liver is inflamed, your doctor can detect it by examining your abdomen. Ultrasounds, blood tests and a liver biopsy are other tests which are often required to diagnose the condition.

There aren’t any specific medications or surgery to treat fatty liver. Instead, lifestyle modifications are recommended in most cases including limiting or avoiding the consumption of alcoholic beverages, managing one’s cholesterol, weight management and controlling diabetes.

5 comments:

  1. I was hepatitis B carrier, and I found it out 3 years ago when I need some medical test for applying for a job. It scares me a lot, and I have been so hopeless since I heard it, I feel like I'm an outcast and different from others. I cry all night, I can't think properly, I'm so down. Even my doctor advised that I cannot transmit the virus using same utensils, saliva, etc., except if I have sexual intercourse. I'm still sick, no one in my family has this disease. And I don't know where I got it. I have taken blood tests many times and my liver is okay, and I never feel pain in my body, but I can't sleep well every night since I have known my situation.I came on the internet to see if I will be able to get any Information as to curing this disease, on my search i saw various testimony about (MED LAB) who cure Hepatitis and all manners of diseases,i contact them, and I got Hepatitis b medicine, after the period of days given to me by the MED LAB, i was completely cure, CONTACT THEM IF YOU ARE diagnosed OF HEPATITIS B VIRUS or any other sickness, email. medlab36@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of hepatitis B in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 8 days of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with HepB 3 months ago and was devastated by the news. I have been ill and sore for over 10 years, with no one being able to figure out what was wrong with me. It was always written off as a virus or infection. Then 2 years ago the severe muscle cramps started. I had them from scalp to toes, and it was when they ran the full spectrum of tests to figure the cramps out, that they discovered the HepB along with severe Vitamin D deficiency, which I link to the HepB. I was so tired and nauseous and in constant pain. I am just sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!!nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the Sebivo (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on hepatitis B herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 5 weeks use of the hepatitis B virus natural herbal formula the disease is totally reversed!! Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear FRIENDS,
    now i have a beautiful smiling face and so are which you all, after reading my testimony. My name is Nita, I am 31 years old,
    And live with my boyfriend in Belgium, but I am UK. I have been diagnosed with hepatitis b since 2012, which the Doctors told me this condition was forever. I know how you feel and what you are going through, I don't have a baby though. I just want to tell you that I am cured now,with the help of doctor Williams herbal medication, the last time I can remember having hepatitis b was October this year. It was a long and difficult process but I am so thankful to dr williams I don't have it anymore. Please know you can be cured too. Accept what happened and is happening to you, forgive, let the past go, love yourself and others unconditionally and be thankful. Everything happens for a reason. If you want to be in contact with dr williams and share your own testimony and thoughts feel free to e-mail him on; drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete