Friday 3 June 2016

Be sympathetic and helpful to patients

Be sympathetic and helpful to patients Dr KK Aggarwal, Editor in Chief eMedinewS and IMA News in conversation with Dr AK Kriplani, Director and Head of the Dept of Minimal Access, Bariatric and GI Surgery at the Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon Dr AK Kriplani has been honored with Dr BC Roy National Award for the year 2009 under the category of Best talents in encouraging the development of specialties in different branches in Medicine. As the Director and Head of the Dept of Minimal Access, Bariatric and GI Surgery at the Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon, Dr AK Kriplani has shaped up the department with core strengths being advanced minimally invasive surgery e.g. laparoscopic colorectal and Hepatobiliopancreatic surgeries, single incision laparoscopic surgery for gallstones and laparoscopic bariatric surgeries. Dr Kriplani graduated from Pt J N M Medical College Raipur, Chhattisgarh (previously MP) in 1977with 2 gold medals and passed MS in Surgery in 1981. He then joined AIIMS, New Delhi and served under various faculty positions including Additional Professor till 1996. He was amongst the first few surgeons in the country and the first in the Government sector to perform laparoscopic surgery. Always remaining in the forefront of this cutting edge technology, he was the first to perform laparoscopic adrenalectomy in India and the first to perform laparoscopic Whipple pancreaticoduodenectomy in North India. Dr Kriplani started and was the chief of the Centre of Weight Loss Surgery at the Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi during his stint there as senior consultant from 1996 to 2014 before joining Fortis Hospital, Gurgaon. The Minimal access Surgery Department at Fortis Hospital today perhaps performs the largest number of scarless single incision laparoscopic cholecystectomies in India under his leadership. Dr Kriplani has been an enthusiastic teacher from the beginning and his teachings go beyond institutional boundaries to even the surgeons serving in the society. He has travelled the length and width of the country and has been invited for more than 455 live surgical demonstrations, guest lectures, key note addresses, panel discussions etc. in India and other Asian, European and American conferences. He has served as the President of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons (IAGES), the national association of laparoscopic surgeons in India for the years 2008-2010 and is currently amongst the trustees. He started fellowship Courses of the IAGES in 2007, which are still amongst the most popular and prestigious fellowship courses in laparoscopic surgery in India. He has trained hundreds of surgeons from India and other countries. Dr Kriplani has been conferred with 28 Awards/ Honours/ Orations of national and international levels including, Best Video Award 12th Asia Pacific Congress of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery 2015, Daegu, South Korea, “eMedinews Distinguished Speaker of the Year 2009”, Dr BN Balakrishna Rao Oration 2008, Bangalore, “Distinguished Services Award”, IMA Academy of Medical Sciences, 2007, Honorary fellowships like FIAGES, FALS, FICS, FAIS etc. He has organised 10 national conferences / CMEs/ Workshops. His teaching videos on laparoscopic surgical procedures are extremely popular and in a short span of three years, more than 200,000 surgeons from all over the world have visited his channel and benefitted by watching his techniques with current average of 350 per day. He is editor of a textbook “Comprehensive Laparoscopic Surgery”. He has contributed 28 scientific publications / invited chapters in Books. Dr KK: What are your feelings on receiving the award? Receiving the award is a great feeling and makes me more humble. It motivates me to be more dedicated to the profession that has given me recognition. However, I know that many persons have contributed to my achievements. My parents, who have inspired me and passed on the social and ethical values of the highest standards by example; my spouse and kids who have made personal sacrifices to help me fulfil my dreams; my teachers who have devoted their time to guide, groom and shape me and my colleagues and team members without whom I wouldn’t be what I am today and my juniors who have energised me. I take this opportunity to thank all of them and dedicate this award to them. Dr KK: What about your family. Tell us something about them. My family has been very understanding and supporting. My wife, Padma Shri Prof Dr Alka Kriplani is Head, Dept of Obst and Gynae at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and is herself a great academician and President of FOGSI. Her support has been unconditional. Both my daughters are postgraduate doctors and are not only understanding but very encouraging. Dr KK: If you had to give a message to the community, what would it be? Our profession is the noblest and the most respected profession even today. However, changing trends in the society, inadequate, incomplete and sometimes inaccurate information on social media, increasing cost of treatment due to newer technologies etc. sometimes lead to stress, frustration and mistrust in the minds of the patients and their families. These are challenging and testing times for our profession. We all must be more careful and cautious in our approach, at the same time being sympathetic and helpful to our patients. We have to learn to balance these contradictions. The patients may behave like consumers, but we must still remain doctors. Dr KK: What changes do you suggest in health policies? Today, tertiary medical care is still a farfetched dream for distant areas and the economically deprived. Health should be a fundamental right. Quality health care should be available to every citizen whenever needed. Distance and affordability should not be a factor. Initiatives are required to provide medical insurance to all and optimal medical care should be available even in interior areas of the country

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete