Tuesday 20 September 2016

IMA - Excerpts from President Secretaries Meeting: Maintain Professional Dignity & Honour

IMA - Excerpts from President Secretaries Meeting: Maintain Professional Dignity & Honour

Dr K K Aggarwal MCI Ethics Regulations • A physician shall uphold the dignity and honour of his profession. • 1.2 Maintaining good medical practice: 1.2.1 The Principal objective of the medical profession is to render service to humanity with full respect for the dignity of profession and man. Physicians should merit the confidence of patients entrusted to their care, rendering to each a full measure of service and devotion. Physicians should try continuously to improve medical knowledge and skills and should make available to their patients and colleagues the benefits of their professional attainments. The physician should practice methods of healing founded on scientific basis and should not associate professionally with anyone who violates this principle. The honoured ideals of the medical profession imply that the responsibilities of the physician extend not only to individuals but also to society. • Appendix 1: Declaration: At the time of registration, each applicant shall be given a copy of the following declaration by the Registrar concerned and the applicant shall read and agree to abide by the same: a. I solemnly pledge myself to consecrate my life to service of humanity. b. Even under threat, I will not use my medical knowledge contrary to the laws of Humanity. c. I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from the time of conception. d. I will not permit considerations of religion, nationality, race, party politics or social standing to intervene between my duty and my patient. e. I will practice my profession with conscience and dignity. f. The health of my patient will be my first consideration. g. I will respect the secrets which are confined in me. h. I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude which is their due. i. I will maintain by all means in my power, the honour and noble traditions of medical profession. j. I will treat my colleagues with all respect and dignity. k. I shall abide by the code of medical ethics as enunciated in the Indian Medical Council (Professional Conduct, Etiquette and Ethics) Regulations 2002. • 1.7 Exposure of Unethical Conduct: A Physician should expose, without fear or favour, incompetent or corrupt, dishonest or unethical conduct on the part of members of the profession. IMA Views • It has to be a proven misconduct. • The onus to prove will lie with the complainant. • The complaint has to be filed with the Medical Council of India (MCI) or the state medical council and not in the media or social media. Section 499 in The Indian Penal Code: Defamation.—Whoever, by words either spoken or intended to be read, or by signs or by visible representations, makes or publishes any imputation concerning any person intending to harm, or knowing or having reason to believe that such imputation will harm, the reputation of such person, is said, except in the cases hereinafter expected, to defame that person. Section 500 in The Indian Penal Code: Punishment for defamation.—Whoever defames another shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both. (Contributions from Dr RN Tandon)

No comments:

Post a Comment